May is melanoma awareness month!
May is melanoma awareness month! Schedule your annual checkup today! Skin cancer is the most common form of cancer in the United States. 1 in 5 Americans develop a skin cancer at some point in their lives. Some tips on how to reduce your skin cancer risk:
- Do not burn. Your risk for melanoma increases with each burn you get!
- Find the shade.
- Wear clothing to cover up. Purchase a broad-brimmed hat and UV-blocking sun glasses.
- Use a broad spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher. Apply it 30 minutes before going outside.
- Protect your children! Keep newborns out of the sun.
- Avoid tanning beds. Every visit to a tanning bed increases your risk for skin cancer.
- And most importantly, get a skin exam to detect any early signs of skin cancer.